A Student 1 to 1 Macbook Image
Building any image is quite easy, however building an image for a cohort of Year 10, 11 and 12 students requires some thought and planning. Here is a list of what was done to prepare our image.
Our build becomes a little more tricky because we need to authenticate to a Windows File Server, and the user accounts are mapped to individual Windows Shares and Folders.
Started with a 10.6.4 factory image with all updates applied
Configured with GCCC 5.0 and GCCC 2.4 networks added to keychain with GCCC 5.0 as the preferred network.
Automatic location updated to use auto proxy discovery for ethernet and airport.
Default dock updated to include iWork and office.
- Default home page set to http://www.google.com.au
- http://macserver.student.local added as bookmark in the Bookmarks Bar
- Reconfigured xserve with hosts entry for swscan.apple.com -> 220.127.116.11
- Reconfigured xserve to redirect requests on the primary web server for /(*.)\.sucatalog to redirect to the local software update service.
Canon 4080 driver PS and URF installed
The following commands have been run on the server:
- cupsctl –share-printers –remote-any
- cupsctl ‘BrowseLocalProtocols=”cups dnssd lpd”‘
The following commands run on client machines:
- cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups
- cupsctl BrowsePoll=macserver.student.local:631
This allows printers from the server to be seen by all clients when in the network, the clients will still need to add the printer to use it.
Canon iR printers have been set up locally on machines due to job accounting pausing the queue and popping a pop up on the server if the user/pass is incorrect.
Created admin user account and enabled Remote Management for that user.
The admin user has been hidden from the login window by using the following command:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add admi
A folder named GCCC Network has been added to the default home folder on the machines, this folder contains network links for the common network shares as well as a custom application to query the year level and username for the user and then connect to the appropriate share.
Standard Install + updates
Removed the following options:
- MS Document Connection
Full web premium install + adobe fonts added to font library
Clickview Player (flip4Mac)
- Installed 1.8.0
- Updated flip4mac to 18.104.22.168
- Installed default preference setting server to 10.10.1.24
Updated to latest from adobe site 10.1